Free Car Seat Inspections
Four out of five car seats are installed wrong!
Did you know MN law requires all children who are 7 and under to ride in a federally approved car seat or booster seat, unless they are 4' 9" or taller? Check out the booster fact sheet for more information.
Safe Kids Anoka County offers several free car seat clinics throughout the year for Anoka County residents to have their children evaluated and car seats inspected by nationally trained technicians. Some agencies also offer one-on-one appointments.
- Appointments are required and are scheduled every 30 - 45 minutes.
- Contact the location most convenient for you to schedule your car seat for inspection.
- You MUST bring your car seat AND vehicle manuals with you to your appointment.
- Please take a moment to clean the clutter from your car before your appointment.
Why is it important NOT to buy a used car seat?
Buying a used car seat means you are trusting the seller to give you information honestly. Can you trust a stranger to tell you whether or not that car seat was in a crash?
Do you know the person at the yard sale well enough to know that they are car-seat savvy and have maintained the car seat according to manufacturer's instructions? When you trust a stranger to give you that kind of information honestly, you are essentially trusting them with your child's life—you are safer buying new.
- Car seats expire; “life expectancy” is only 5-6 years depending on the manufacturer
- To properly use the seat you need the car seat owner’s manual
- Car seats that have been involved in a crash, even a minor one, should not be used
- Has the seat been recalled? If the model sticker is missing, how will you know?
- Continuous improvements in technology make a strong case for investing in a new, top-performing model
Individual Car Seat Inspections
Individual appointments are offered at the following locations. Please call ahead (2 weeks in advance is recommended) for appointments.
Dates and times vary at each agency, and availability is not guaranteed. If you are not a resident of that particular city, there may be a fee for inspection services.
Sheriff's Office *
Spring Lake Park/
Blaine Fire Dept
* The Anoka County Sheriff's Office serves the cities of:
Andover, Bethel, Columbus, East Bethel, Ham Lake, Linwood, Nowthen, Oak Grove